Friday, August 10, 2007

Harvard B-School Admission Tip ??

Two more stories of recent Harvard admits from my residential country.

2 is a small number for applicant pools from USA / UK / other Europrean countries, but 2 is a big representation for this country with a tiny population size and located thousands-of-miles away from USA. Thus, can I infer from their stories the trick to HBS?

Case Study 1:

Engineering graduate chose to be a full time singer @ a local pub. After a few years, the divine power showed him the Harvard path. He applied, and got admitted.

Case Study 2:

A degree holder chose to showcase his talents by busking full time. Got inspired to get a MBA and applied for Harvard. Admitted.


Moral of the story ??

If you acquire early the wisdom of the value of an ivy-league MBA, or aspire to be part of Harvard Business School:
- start planning your life early so you could write a story of pursuing a passion deemed unpopular by the society's conventional wisdom/ voluntaring work at a developing country / setting up a business / travelling (backpacking is preferred) extensively to different less-adventured corners of the world / accomplishing great things for the well-being of humanity/ leading a team to conquer the Mount Everest / etc etc etc

If you are the aspired parent-of-a-HBS-graduate:
- start an endowment fund early so that your child can afford to pursue his/her dream without worries of university study loan repayment, high living cost in a city and financial commitment to family.


They often say every applicant has an unique story. I'm glad that my story is not totally boring. However, never have I wished more than now that I had accomplished more extraordinary achievements. :p

6 comments:

Deepthroat said...

Hey Bluey,

The case u provided are valid but they are definitely not necessary ones. I know a couple of normal people who made it to Harvard...yes with mediocre acads....mediocre extra currics, with average work ex of 4 years and avg GMAt scores (for Harvard 710-720)....

I feel it all depends on how you showcase yourself. The average guy sitting next to u in office may have lot of things that may make him stand out.....

kpmg said...

maybe it's also how you present yourself... you may not have done anything exceptional in your eyes, but in the eyes of others, you're a superstar...?

however, i would love to be a rap star applying to HBS :P

Matiaoo said...

Hey everyday I have the same thoughts....but I know after interacting with a few alumni from HBS and Wharton and reading a few essays of successful applicants that you need not be so extra ordinary after all.

In a class of 800/900 everyone need not be a mountain climber or a pub singer... :)

Believe in yourself and I am sure you will make it....

-- said...

Hi there,

First time visitor to your blog. I must say, I LOVE it. Your anecdotes about what it takes to get into Harvard are amusing an encouraging. I am applying as an "off-the-wall", totally unique, "why-the-hell-do-i-need-an-MBA" type of candidate. Hopefully it works. ^-^

Needless to say, I would be absolutely ecstatic if I could share an HBS classroom with you next year. :)

Also, I love how you're trying to get out of sg, and I'm so desparate to visit that small island...

Jaguar Paw said...

Nice post Bluey!

Unknown said...

do check out these Harvard Essay Tips