Wednesday, August 15, 2007

The Green Truth...

It must be misleading... It wasn’t intentional, please pardon me. The truth is, Harvard is not in my top 3 targeted school list, and I’m not 100% sure if I will apply. I simply happen to hear a few related stories recently. Perhaps, my mistake must be to forget to upload a draft written in July. Here it is.


I have submitted application for INSEAD January 2008 intake.

Since early this year, I have decided to take on the MBA challenge. Most schools only have a September intake and that makes applying in October (Round 1) a natural strategy. Each top school has its strengths and weaknesses, ie diversity, location, teaching strengths, reputation in my targeted post-MBA industry, availability of financial aids, student community culture, strength of alumni network etc. To zoom down to a few top choices is the first challenge.


It’s fair to comment that without the information session and interactions with current students, I would not have applied for the January intake, which means to automatically say goodbye to my chances with other excellent B-schools. It almost parallels the Registration of Marriage vow that demands a commitment of ‘never to consider other potentials’.

INSEAD has always been in my top 3 choices. For some reasons, I always love Europe more and dream to work in London, despite feedbacks that Americans are friendlier and more open-minded towards Asians. My preference for Europe is built on previous pleasant stays and it must be biased, since I have never visited USA and have only met American travelers. I will love to experience USA of course. Any offer of free air-ticket and accommodation?

The pivotal experience was a private information session with five INSEAD students who enthusiastically shared their analysis of why INSEAD and why not other MBA schools. Among others, INSEAD is famed for the cohesiveness of its school community and alumni network. For establishing of an international career and relocating to a foreign land, to have a supportive alumni network and strong friendships built during MBA must be beneficial. Of course, most students will admit their views are biased, having invested a large amount of money and time in a life-changing MBA program, and going to live with pride as the school’s MBA alumni in future. Nevertheless, their honest sharing put me into better perspectives to derive my own decision. Having done my school research and application outline and asked my recommenders to write references earlier, it was tough but possible to meet INSEAD’s July deadline.

After having done my part, the rest is up to God. Praying hard now. Since I will only confirm my INSEAD application status by mid-October, I will still be working hard on other MBA application essays now and get happily distracted by all the MBA information sessions coming to town. =)

No comments: