Wednesday, August 8, 2007

GMAT

Weeks of revising mathematical concepts and English grammar, days of sacrificing all unnecessary social activities, hours of stress and worries…

The GMAT is at last done ! Though not exactly in the way I had wished for…

I chatted with some other candidates, felt reasonably relaxed and ready for the test. Everything appeared normal. Till I started the test.

From the very first minute, if not second, the cold test room was filled by constant annoying loud noises of coughing and sneezing. I had my ear plucks but still could almost sense the vibration of the sound waves. I had no choice. The noise producer was sitting right next to me.

I couldn’t concentrate well. The algebras and inequalities did not look easily comprehensible and approachable to me… It felt as if all the nights of fighting against these mathematical puzzles had become useless. According to GMAT Strategy number 101 : the first 15 questions are crucial in determining the score. From the 15th question onwards, the questions thrown at me did not appear like those testing the limits of 95th percentile scorers. It was tempting to cancel today’s test score, but the idea of having to incur the cost again and having to wait for another month was even more irritating.

After understanding my concerns, the GMAT centre administrator was kind enough to offer me the option of a free retake next month. They suggested that at the end of the test, I could either get the test score, satisfactory or not, to be submitted to the five schools, or click the ‘Cancel’ button to erase all earlier efforts. The poor sick candidate apologized and promised to control his noises. The GMAT administrator handled me a big headphone in addition to the ear plucks. I decided to proceed to take on the Verbal challenge.

The ten minute optional break was over. My neighbour substantially reduced his noise, but a nearby construction site started producing their noises. Very interesting, I thought. Fotunately, perhaps in a way I had better adapted to the noise pollution, I managed to focus better and complete the 41 questions in time.

It was time. The moment of truth unraveled. Surprisingly it was not as disastrous as what I had imagined. I did well in the verbal session to compensate for my underperformance in the quantitative session.

My GMAT score – 720. Not a fantastic score, but an acceptable one.

I am unsure how this imbalance between Verbal and Quantitative scores will affect my application, and if I should explain for this in the optional essay.

And, should I bother to retake the test or simply move on to the more challenging essay writings?

6 comments:

kpmg said...

Congratulations again! :P

How modest of you with your score... hahaha :)

Say it out loud... I OWNED THE GMAT!!!

OH YEAH! :)

the being said...

sorry about the less than stellar experience. Loud noises are anathema for exam taking nerves!

But 720 is more than decent by all counts. I wud strongly advise u against retaking. And do not bother explaining the difference in quant and verbal in your essay either. thats very trivial and you can use your optional essay for better purposes. And really, no one cares about the break-up!

the being said...

and congrats!!!

R G said...

Bad luck with the distraction! But it sounds like you managed a great score even so. Does anyone actually cancel their scores? Seems like curiosity would win over caution 99% of the time.


I had a very similar experience, and, after much agonizing am planning to retake to make up for the quant weakness in my first score.

Anonymous said...

congrats on the great score. You might not want to take the GMAT again and give your applications the time instead.
Best,
hazyblur

Unknown said...

Hey bluey -

GMAT - I am in a similar situation and want t run some questions by you. Is there an email id I can reach you at?

- A : arnosferatu@gmail.com