Tuesday, September 25, 2007

speechless...

Incident 1:

Met a neighbor. Her first greeting to me, a stranger, was ‘ Are you from China or --- (my present residential country)’
‘None of the above. I’m from ----’ My reply.
‘Oh, don’t get me wrong, I’m just friendly. You know, there are people of many different nationalities here now. Maybe you should travel overseas more to learn this… blah blah blah (continue for about 5 minutes….)’

Incident 2:

Our French teacher shared that in history, New Orlene was sold by Napoleon to USA for a sum of money and feels that it is a pity (jokingly).
Immediately we had a protest from our super patriotic American, ‘ Don’t ever talk bad about American ! blah blah blah...’.
But… He was talking about Napoleon !!
And this beautiful lady whose rich husband is a French, would never degrade herself by associating with fellow classmates even of the same ethnic as hers.

Incident 3:

We had the pleasure of an economist to teach basic economics to my fellow colleagues who lacked such background training.
A casual remark blurted out from this economist, ‘It’s simply an inescapable trend. The employment of -------people is so cheap and good,’
Room of laughter. The new associate from the country mentioned, a recently graduated scholar, kept silent.
Interestingly, all of our forefathers, who in fact immigrated from the same mentioned country just 2-3 generations ago, were also ‘cheap and good labors’ in the eyes of the British.


Hopefully I will get much less of such experience in my future MBA community.

No comments: