Wednesday, July 4, 2007

Application essays

I’m working on my application essays.

My approach was to consolidate the points from my essay outline, as advised by the MBA essay writing books and MBA bloggers’ tips I’ve been reading, and sent out the first raw draft to 5 readers for reviews. Despite all the useful guidelines gathered, a writer under the effect of ‘MBA essay fatigue’ definitely needs some third party's opinion. I asked for honest and critical (which could be brutal) reviews of the overall content from an admission officer’s position.


I selected 5 readers to help review my drafts
- a current student who kindly offers his help and insider perspectives
- one of my recommender who recently graduated from a MBA and who is in-charged of my company’s scholarship scheme
- my best friend who is a psychologist and had previously involved in a prestigious scholarship selection committee.
- my close friend who has a similar overseas experience with me
- a recent admit who shares a similar background as me


I can’t underscore further the importance of establishing contacts with the current students. The most insightful pointers could come from the most unexpected source. The theory of diversification improves overall returns is applicable everywhere.


It’s extremely useful that each of them notice different areas for improvement and blind spots. I was unconscious of these shortcomings of my writing style without them pointing out.

- be extremely direct to the questions
- sell, market, advertise harder
- remove unnecessary personal traits
- modesty is not a virtue here
- remove passive and indirect tone
- focus on the pull factors, be forward-looking
- think big and think like a man. Afterall, it’s a business course dominated by male.

I doubt it’s enjoyable to edit essays, and am extremely grateful for having these people’s help! These are the best birthday presents I could ever have this year !

1 comment:

Deepthroat said...

Which school essay have u started....Its impressive you have already started jotting down ur thoughts......

All the best